Welcome to Bakertown School.
It was built in 1852 and originally located between Sullivan, Concord and Helenville on County Road P in Jefferson County.
The building was heated with a wood-burning stove. The stovepipe went up to the ceiling in the back of the room and then across to the front where it exited through the chimney. Its length served to further heat the room.
Originally there were two doors at the back of the building, ostensibly one for girls and one for boys. The front of the building had no door, but was a teaching platform and chalk board all the way across. (The Jefferson Historical Society reversed the building’s orientation and added the door you see now.)
The schoolteachers in Bakertown School used the German language until 1917 when they switched to English.
In 1930 a full basement was added, dug out completely by hand. We have a letter from a former teacher, Mrs. Joyce Baneck, (1949-1950) who remembers having her students roller skating in the basement during recess on very cold or wet days. She came to visit us during our first show with the schoolhouse open for visitors and is pictured here in this book.
In 1962 the school closed and sat vacant for two years until 1964 when the Jefferson Historical Society arranged to have it moved to Ogden Street in Jefferson. There it was used as a Museum until sometime after 2000 when they were offered a much more climate controlled location by the city for the display and storage of their historical materials.
For a time the basement was used as a warming house for the ice-skaters on the lot in the winter.
Sometime after that the city elected to have the house moved, sold or demolished, at which time it came to the attention of a Dodge County Antique Power Club board member. Russ Sponem and his wife, Denise, felt very strongly that this building should be preserved. They persevered. In 2010 we founded the DCAPC Women’s committee, raised funds and were able to arrange for the building to be moved here, to Burnett Corners. The Schoolhouse was moved to our show grounds late on December 5, 2010. The move took just minutes over the five hours allotted to us by the state, beginning at 12:01 am on Monday in the dead of night, and we arrived at the grounds in Burnett minutes past 5:00 am in light snow flurries.
We use this building on these grounds as a women’s display center featuring a variety of topics for display each year during the DCAPC steam show. In 2011 the feature was antique toys and collectibles, sheep shearing and wool processing. In 2012 the feature was antique sewing tools and quilting. Our feature for 2013 was antique kitchen tools and gadgets, scherenschnitte (German paper cutting) and Christmas ornaments. In 2014 we featured Antique jewelry, vintage clothing and wedding dresses. In 2015 we displayed musical instruments, phonographs and anything musical. 2016 was the year of vintage cameras and lamps. In 2017 we featured vintage china place settings and dining room chairs. In 2018 we will once again feature vintage toys, this time adding dolls, dollhouses, rocking horses, etc. Every year we also have members of several fiber arts guilds doing ongoing demonstrations of various fiber arts, as well as short classes in things such as antique rag rug braiding.
Maintenance of the schoolhouse is an ongoing labor of love. To help raise funds for this we hold a silent auction every year during the show. Items vary from year to year, often including beautiful, hand made things donated by loyal supporters. Please visit the schoolhouse often during the show and place your bids!
The DCAPC Women’s Committee is very grateful for support received over the years. We look forward to many more shows!
Welcome to Bakertown School.